So life go

Friday, October 31, 2008

MARRIAGE AND CONVICTS

Many people dream of one day finding the perfect person to marry and living happily ever after. For the Christian, its finding a nice Christian man/woman- hey, gotta be equally yoked - nuh? Yet anxiety can soon set in for those who envision this future for themselves.

Recently the Observer did an article on a conference which catered to frustrated Christian singles desirous of finding 'the one'. Now, if I go to a conference I would really like to feel hopeful on my way out. Yet one line from the talk at this conference would have certainly left me a bit discouraged.

The speaker was trying to make the point that girls and guys need to wait for that special someone but I want you catch this line and I quote '

"God might have a wife for you, but she still in college, God might have a husband for you but him still in prison,"

STILL IN PRISON!???!!

The guy seems pretty set- his girl in college but di girl guy inna di lock up. You mean yuh telling me seh I have to go join the prison ministry, meet the man and wait until 'im come out ah jail on parole? - aaaahhhm this not monopoly. You mean the only guy you going to be able to find who is a Christian is an ex-con?

Now - I have nothing against former prisoners. I firmly believe in redemption- After all Jesus came to set the prisoners free and even our beloved Apostle, Paul, was in the joint at several points. But the problem that I have with this line is the thinking that it reflects.

We have such low expectations for men ( they all heading to jail) and of the influence that Christ can have on the educated, decent man. Many find Jesus in prison but you can also find him if you not in those desperate conditions. Probably I am reading too much into it but it also seems to send a subtle message to ladies that they are probably going to have have to settle.-mmm.

The guys seem to be OK but just a a little encouragement for the ladies- If you are being called to marriage , the Lord has the person for you and probably not one with a record.

Also , what about the single life? I am a firm believer in marriage. My parents have been married for 28years. I think we are all called to share our lives with people and that marriage is a perfect example of people doing just that. But I also think that you can do so much for Christ being single. To some this may seem blasphemous ( 'every hoe have dem stick a bush', they say) but I think that you can grow in love for Christ and others as a single person, after all isn't that our ultimate goal?


If you want to read the article, here's the link http://jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/AllWoman/html/20081027T000000-0500_141824_OBS_CHRISTIAN_SINGLES_PLEDGE_TO_LET_GOD_CHOOSE_THEIR_PARTNERS.asp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home